The madness of the summer season has come to an end, and we now enter that quieter time of year where we still get nice days, but we know that winter is just around the corner. This, of course, is the perfect time to make sure our important maintenance is carried out.
There are 2 important property maintenance periods - Autumn, which I will cover in this post and Spring, which we will look at around February time. There are important differences between the two, Autumn is getting your property ready for Winter and Spring is not only maintenance but dressing your property ready again for the summer season.
Autumn's Most Important jobs
- Check all plumbing, electric, gas and water supply are working.
- Check Internet, phone line, TV aerial, Satellite dish etc.
- Check all pipes, cables etc are intact and any damages repaired or replaced.
- Service Boiler.
- Bleed Radiators.
- Check Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors and fire extinguishers.
- Check all appliances are working and in good order.
- Defrost freezer and deep clean Fridge and Freezer.
- Deep clean oven.
- Check small appliances such as kettle, toaster, and microwave.
- Check cables, plugs, and pipes for damage.
- Check all furniture for repair or replacement.
- Pay particular attention to beds – air mattresses and check stocks of bedding!
- Check carpets and flooring for damage or stains. Repair or replace.
- Check all soft furnishings for stains etc. Repair or replace.
- Avoid large paint jobs till spring but touch up if necessary.
- Check tiles and re-grout or clean.
- Re-seal any mould with silicone around showers, sinks and baths.
- Check guttering and all outdoor pipes. If you have outdoor taps make sure that these are covered with outdoor pipe insulation.
- Check external gates are opening and closing and that hinges etc are intact and working properly.
- Clear any debris from gardens, prune shrubs and have a general tidy up. If you have guests stay during these periods it is essential to make sure that leaves are kept at bay so as not to cause a slip hazard.
- Check garden furniture for any repairs or replacements.
- Outside painting – this is one that is up for debate! I would advise leaving this till Spring unless it is necessary. It is personal choice, but I always feel that it is better to do this when you are getting ready for the spring/summer season.
- Check windows and make sure that seals are intact. This is an essential repair at this time of year.
The above list is not exhaustive, but I feel these items are essential in preparing your property for the winter and hopefully saving on winter fuel bills.
The Autumn check and repair is vital for keeping up excellent reviews. This should be a time where you have reaped the rewards of a good summer season and now have some free time to do some repair work or even home improvements. You may have only visited your property briefly between guests and so it is important to have a thorough checklist to go through.
Have you considered an agent to look after your property?
Having a property management agent that offers a full service, such as ourselves means that your maintenance list for Autumn will be kept at a minimum. Our excellent cleaners and maintenance staff visit your property regularly and any damage or repair is recorded immediately and provided to you, or you may choose a ‘hassle free’ option where repairs or replacements to an agreed sum are carried out on your behalf. We have a team of professionals who can help with maintenance to your property with the minimum of fuss throughout the season. If you prefer to do it yourself, we can provide you with up-to-date information on your property so that you are fully informed of any necessary works.
Why choose Pass the Keys® North Ceredigion?
We live in your area so we are close and can give you that personal experience. You are not just a number to us. Not only do you get a personal experience from me and my team, but you also have the advantage of a team of individuals at HQ filled with vast experience in sales, marketing and up to date technology. When we say we offer a fully managed service it is exactly what we mean:
- Listing & Management
- Cleaning & Linen
- 24/7 Guest Support
- Insurance & Maintenance
Don’t take our word for it though, give us a call or head to our website and put your postcode in the calculator to see how much you could earn by using us.
The best of it is that you are not tied into long contracts because we are so confident that you will stay with us. I look forward to meeting you.
Rose Maher, Franchise Owner of Pass the Keys North Ceredigion branch